Kylie Jenner solidified herself as a multi-million-dollar force to be reckoned with in the beauty industry in 2017. Since launching her line Kylie Cosmetics in 2015, her brand has become one of the fastest-selling and most talked about launches ever. And even with everything else the 20-year-old had going on in her life this year, like how she is expecting her first child with Travis Scott and how she starred in her own television show, Life of Kylie, her beauty business continued to soar (and weather quite a few crises, such as the California wildfires shutting down her facility and getting called out for setting her prices high).
So, what exactly happened this year to bring her to full-on beauty domination? Well, seven things to be exact…
1. Kylie Cosmetics brought in $450 millionProps where props are due: The 20-year-old reality star is really good at selling makeup. So good, in fact, that her brand Kylie Cosmetics’ sell-out lip kits, eye makeup, blush and highlighters amassed $450 million in sales in just 18 months. Jenner revealed the statistic to WWD, who adds that if all goes as planned, she’ll have sold a total of $386 million worth of products in 2017 alone, and will be on track to reach $1 billion by the time she’s 25. And there’s more where that came from. The star’s mom, Kris Jenner, told CNBC, “The goal in the future is to just build the whole infrastructure, and figure out what a retail model might look like that could take it globally. She’s just scratched the surface and there is so much more to do with the brand.”
2. For the first time ever, Kylie Cosmetics became available in a retail storeAside from the short pop-up shops in Los Angeles and New York City, Kylie Cosmetics fans were never able to try on Jenner’s products until they made it to their doorsteps. But the beauty mogul changed that in November, launching a month-long pop-up shop inside seven Topshop stores across the country.
3. Kylie began creating YouTube videosFor the first time ever, Jenner took her reality television skills onto YouTube, launching her first YouTube channel. She uses the site to debut new products, try on shades, and of course, talk beauty with gals like her BFF Jordyn Woods and her sister Khloé.
4. She launched brushes…As Kylie’s products continue to be coveted by makeup junkies everywhere, the brand is growing by debuting new products across a number of categories. And this holiday season, the star is launching many things — one of them being a 16-piece brush set. And while many fans are upset about the $360 price point for the entire set, the white and silver brushes will likely sell out just as fast as the rest of her products.
5. She also debuted 30 concealer shades…Jenner also entered an entirely new category of cosmetics this year — skin. She released her collection of 30 concealer shades, called Skin Concealer, on December 13th.
6. Lipstick was inevitably nextShe’s created liners, glosses and lipsticks — but Jenner had yet to dabble in true lipsticks, until she finally launched 20 shades, all packaged in silver tubes, this year.
7. She collaborated with sister Kim Kardashian West for a collection of nude shadesLast but not least, she teamed up with her newly-minted beauty-mogul sister Kim to launch a collection of creamy nude lip shades. And little did we know, the collaboration was a major preview of Kim’s own cosmetics line, KKW Beauty, which launched soon after the collection of lip shades.
What was your favorite milestone of Kylie’s this year?